Sunday, August 26, 2012

Lampshade Updo

The post previous to this one is about this metal lampshade I found for six bucks at the Habitat for Humanity Restore.


The first thing I had to decide on was what color spray paint to use.  As fun as it would be to go for something fun and bright, I decided on a muted color by Krylon called "Celery."  I also needed something to cover the brass so I found a brown hammered paint I had in the cupboard.


As much as I liked the simplicity of the lamp, I thought it would be fun to spice it up with some homemade glass "tassels" to be hung from the base of the shade.  I was thinking something like what you might find hanging from a chandelier...but slightly different.

After visiting good ol' Hobby Lobby, I came home with some glass beads (which were all 50% off and totaled $15.00.)  Because I didn't have the tools or know-how of making the "tassels" I drove down to the nearby Bead Shoppe where an employee led me to the necessary crimp beads, wires, hooks, and tools to use.



She also gave me a copy of some directions I found useful.  Instead of taking step-by-step pictures for you, I took a picture of the directions.  Genius....and easier!


Here they are, my completed tassels.  I made a total of 8, four shorter ones with a larger bead at the bottom and four longer ones with a shorter bead at the bottom.




Here's a close-up of the top...an earring clasp.

Before spray painting the shade, my husband drilled 8 small holes along the base of the shade so that the tassels could be hung.

And after a couple of coats of spray paint, it was finished!






3 comments:

  1. I love this tutorial. I can't wait to try this. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this post. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/free-bee-sweet-hat-pattern-crocheted.html
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this so much. You did a really great job. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/09/simple-anti-aging-moisturizer-and.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lamp shade is the BOMB!!!! Very creative!!!

    ReplyDelete