Sunday, September 18, 2011

Felt Autumn Banner

I've been on a bit of a felt kick lately, just browse through my most recent posts.  Since felt is easy to work with and doesn't always require using a sewing machine, I decided to use it to make an autumn banner.

I began with some fall colors.  I purchased my felt squares at Joann's for 30¢ each.  I also made a tracer out of some scrapbook paper I had on hand.  Using a permanent marker, I traced the pattern on each felt color and cut the squares out.

I used a piece of equipment at work to cut out the letters.  Although they are expensive, I'd like to one day purchase a Silhouette which could cut out letters and so much more.


To add detail to each square, I embroidered the edges with string (used for needlepoint) that matched the felt squares.  I used hot glue to attach the letters.


Needlepoint string
Next, I used a sharp pair of scissors to cut a small hole in the upper left and right hand corners of each square.  I wove jute in and out of the holes so that I could hang the banner on my mantel. 




Cost Breakdown
6 pieces of felt = $1.80
6 bundles of string = $2.00
Letters = free
Jute = free

Total Cost = About $4.00

No comments:

Post a Comment